Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pictures tell better stories than I would.

So I can cross yet another thing off my to-do list before I die: I rode an elephant this weekend! I could tell you about the other things I did on our excursion to Mysore, but pictures are more fun anyway. So enjoy!


Silk worm cocoons--we stopped by the town that produces (I think) 80% of India's silk...that's a lot! You could pick up the cocoons and shake them and feel the dead worm inside.


The Sri Ranganthaswamy Temple



Well, I don't have a picture on my camera of me ON the elephant, but this counts, right? At the above temple. Aaand this is my pretty, pretty pink outfit I had made.



At the Brindavan gardens. We saw a dam, gardens and a musical fountain there--very fun!



Um. I love this sign.



St. Philomena's church. It looks kind of familiar...


...probably because it was based on this one in Cologne, Germany!



Holy cow! They're everywhere, like this one at the temple shown below. The cows here even had red on their foreheads!



Chamundeshwari shrine. We didn't go in here because the queue was ridiculous!



Nandi, the bull mount of Shiva--over 15 ft high and 24 ft long.



Yummy sugarcane juice.


...Made right in front of us! They feed the sugarcane through a machine and catch the juice that comes out. They feed the same piece through several times, folding it up again and again to get as much juice as possible out of it.





The Mysore Palace at night! Beautiful! We went to visit the next day but they wouldn't let you take cameras in, so I don't have any pictures of the inside. It's absolutely gorgeous though, and reminded me a lot of some of the architecture I saw in Morocco, with the attention to details and sheer beauty of every little piece.


Program for the weekend: village trip with my service learning class! I know absolutely nothing about it yet, but have high hopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment