Friday, July 9, 2010

Learning in the classroom and out

Whew, time flies once classes start!

I spent all weekend looking forward to the start of classes on Monday. It really shows what our group is like when I say that we were all excited for class! In Paris, I never wanted to go to class. J So Monday came, and they had an all-India bandh, or strike. It was just supposed to affect autos, taxis and shops for the most part, but we ended up with all of our classes canceled. So we had nothing to do, which turned into an MTV-India watch party in my room. It was actually pretty fun! Then places opened back up at 6, so a big group of us went out to eat then.

Tuesday, we finally started learning! The day started out with yoga, and for the first class we mostly learned about what yoga is, and did some warm-ups and a few asanas, or poses. That afternoon, I started my culture class and we had a guest lecturer on politics. We’ve had guest lecturers in that class every day so far, including social structure (we got to talk to Indian students about their religion and such during that portion and it was really fun!), economics and dance (I learned how to be a peacock!). We had guest performers today as part of the dance lecture, and we’re trying to set up some lessons with the instructor here at the university.

Tuesday night was special because a few of us went to an Indian couple’s home for dinner. We met a salon owner and his wife over the weekend and they invited us over. We had so much fun, the other girl in the dorm and I decided not to worry about being back for curfew at 9:15 and we slept on couches at the apartments. We looked through engagement and wedding pictures, learning about some of the customs. This couple got married in Bangalore, so their wedding was three days, but in the north of the country, weddings last five whole days! I can only imagine how exhausting it would be, but it looks truly beautiful. I would love to see an Indian wedding someday, but I don’t know if the opportunity will ever come up. We talked with Nanesh and his wife about traveling since they had plans to go to a temple in the Himalayas this month, and we even met his parents. They didn’t speak any English, but we said “Namaste” and smiled a lot! His dad looked like Gandhi—it was great!

Wednesday was class as usual, but my Thursday mornings are free, so I went to Commercial Street with a couple of friends for some shopping. We got outfits made for us for around $20 or less, depending on the fabric used, and I kind of feel like a 5-year-old playing dress up in mine since it’s Princess Pink and has sequins and embroidery, buuuut it’s pretty so that’s okay! After class, I went with some friends to meet an Indian girl they had met, and we all got dinner together. She’s super nice and we had a lot of fun hanging out before making it back to the dorm just in time for curfew. I was going nonstop the whole day so I was really tired by the time I got back!

Tomorrow, the group is heading to Mysore to see a palace and silk saris and sandalwood incense and who knows what all else! We’re supposed to be able to ride elephants at the palace, which I am obviously all over if we have the opportunity. It should be a fun weekend trip, and I’ll let you know how that went next week!

1 comment:

  1. I want to see a picture of you in this dress! Sounds like you're loving India so far though...can't wait to see more pics.

    ReplyDelete