Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I could live in the Loire Valley.

Budapest rocks. I had such a relaxing weekend, seeing some sights but mostly wandering around the city. I went to the baths and got de-stressed after my crazy weeks before the trip, and walked to the castle district, saw the Danube, met a ton of people in the amazing 10 euro a night hostel (if you go to Budapest, stay in Big Fish!)...it was fantastic! I spent two and a half days there and still had a day when I got back to Paris to do some homework so it worked out really well.

I loved the architecture of the city. I went to St. Stephen's basilica, which was GORGEOUS. I visited the first day I got there and again for mass on Easter and was really struck by how beautiful it is inside. I am so accustomed to France's churches which preeetty much all look the same, so it was nice to have a change. The basilica is home to St. Stephen's mummified hand too, so that was pretty legit. I also adored the Parliament building. I didn't have the chance to go inside, although I hear that's also beautiful, but the outside of the building, viewed from the Buda side of the Danube, is breathtaking. An absolutely striking building.

Unfortunately, I re-stressed on the plane ride back to Paris, knowing I would no longer be able to take showers since my roommate had informed me that our host lady is now monitoring that (more closely) as well. I really want to start a stopwatch before I get in and show her evidence of the time I actually spend in the shower, since she's convinced we're in there for half an hour. Not the case. I actually spend more time cleaning the bathroom than myself each time I take a shower, but whatevs. I've given up on trying to please her!

No more complaining. My horoscope today (I was reading a magazine while waiting for my friend at the caf) said to stop complaining. It's scary when those things know what's up.

Last weekend we went to the Loire Valley with my program and it was super cool! We went to 2 big castles (Chambord and Chenonceau) and Leonardo da Vinci's crib, where some of his inventions were out in the yard and you could play with them. Chouette. Chambord is giant! It has this cool staircase in the middle when you first go in that's a double spiral, DNA-like. Way cool. I could so live there. We took these bike things around the river and such too and that was probably actually my favorite part. I hate bikes, but my friend and I got this weird pedaled golf-cart-like-thing. It was hard work pedaling that sucker around some places, but it was cool to see the castle from afar! Oh, and we had a wine-tasting the first day. Also chouette.

Other than that, I've mostly been going to classes and planning break. I went running a couple of times in the Luxembourg Gardens and discovered I'm the most in shape I've been since high school! Monday was definitely the easiest first run I've ever had and it felt wonnnderful.

I also finally got to go out out last Thursday since I wasn't traveling until Saturday. It was so nice! I went with a classmate to a bar where they had delish caramel vodka shots for two euro fifty...way cheap for here! Then we went around midnight to Mix Club in Montparnasse (walkable yay!), where international students get in for free on Thursday nights. You're supposed to get a flag of your country when you get in, but Lauren and I didn't want to sport the American flag all night, so she got Morocco and I got the EU. Tried to get Chile or Costa Rica, but no dice. People got really confused by mine since it encompasses so many countries and it was entertaining.

Now I'm finishing up packing because I'm officially on spring break! Or Easter vacation as they call it here. Even though Easter was 2 weeks ago. I'm supposed to have class tomorrow, but instead I'm leaving at 5 AM to catch a flight to Morocco! I'm waaay excited for that, and then I'm spending a night back in Paris (by a night I mean a few hours of sleeping and switching bags) and head off to Granada, Barcelona, Rome, Geneva, and Nice! I'm kind of nervous because we're flying all over and airports are so much more difficult, but I'm getting more and more excited by the minute. These are places I've wanted to go for soooo many years and now I finally get to! It's been the same with other places I've gone, but this time it's a whole bunch all at once, so it's a little different. I'm going to try to head to bed super early tonight so I'm not too exhausted tomorrow, so I'll try to update more later if I have internet along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment